Saturday, September 16, 2006

Time & Space - they have the money

Yes I am both Part-time Faculty Advisor to & Manager (Supervisor if you prefer) of CLC Radio. I keep my time delineated between the two (for the few of you who mistakenly believe that that delineation is warranted). I stopped by CLC personnel Friday and I have been told to answer, when asked, "what do you teach", when referencing the Part-time Faculty designation, I need only reply, "I am Part-time Faculty in advisement. I am currently Advisor to CLC Radio". Any further inquiry would be considered nonsense to those in personnel. I was also informed that my first choice of answer was correct but may be too difficult to understand.

CLC employs people of the Lake County community as Part-time faculty Credit (or non-credit) with the intention for advisement or training only, not specifically for teaching classroom-style, but usually when the employee or incumbent holds a particular niche expertise or developing expertise in that area, or as a Counselor (they are all either Part-time or Full-time Faculty now, but are not assigned classes at first; Regular FT-Faculty are given first choice, of course, per their contract), or within Career & Placement Services for their expertise.

In other words, Part-time Faculty as Advisors are hired where it would not be efficient nor prudent to hire FT-Faculty to do the "job", because by necessity a lot of the work in niche areas is just that: a job. In the department of Career Services & Placement, there are also PT-Faculty Credit Course employees that can teach, have taught, but some currently do not. Kent Korth would be a good example of one that is not presently assigned to any credit course - but he does advise.

All of the above mentioned hires come under the roof of Student Development and so does anyone employed within the Office of Student Life or Student Activities. Currently in the Office of Student Life, then activities there are three employees qualified to teach: Felicia Ganther (OSL), Cindy Sarkady (OSA), and Dan Prowse (myself)(OSA). Ms. Ganther has taught Speech Class several times at CLC, Ms. Sarkady her own created seminars at CLC, and me, my own training methods I use everyday for DJ students and station staff that need that guidance, and I am good at it. I also teach privately, percussion (you know, drums). I am good at that, as well. They become good at it because of me, and sometimes, in spite of me (as I have planned all along).

There are no broadcasting courses at CLC again, yet - there aren't many even just within the Skyway Conference system - there once was at CLC, three attempts approximately 8 years ago, with the assignment of the then General Manager of "WCLC" (now, of course, correctly and legally given the name, by my insistence, "CLC Radio", in lieu of an illegal name perpetuated), Rodney Findley as the PT-Faculty for that credit course. But the course (actually may never have started due low enrollment) and Mr. Findley proved a supreme disappointment. Besides, a basic or intro course, somewhat necessary for study in Electronic Media Communications, would not generally include a Lab component, as it is introductory at most schools who have just one course in Radio. An introductory course alone will not teach you how to operate a station, it should just generally teach of history, position, job descriptions (as best as can be done, given the industry standards), different types of transmissions, and an overview of equipment. A trip to am FM station can also help a course improve. CLC Radio presently provides for out-trips to Radio Stations & Recording Studios.

In addition to only one course, even IF there would be a Lab attached, CLC has no separate Lab space to be used to teach what I already teach, On-hand, on Real-World equipment - WHEN TIME ALLOWS. These are the key elements in teaching radio, both Time & Space - and not just Standard Time nor Standard Office Space. Perusing the Nine AQIP Points, one can see that even a course, under CommArts, in Sound Design/Backstage, has been postponed due to lack of Space and Funds (if those are the only things holding it back, then CommArts needs to hire me full time just to do the research. Frankly, I am very curious in how a Sound Design and Backstage Rubric mix, so to speak, would look like - at least on paper).

In a production environment that provides the CLC Community a vast array of programming, programming which would sound excellent in your car stereo, if....LPFM? No. Educational entities are not allowed to enter into LPFM licensing - that is reserved to Religious or Governmental bodies. Educational entities may only apply for Educational Licenses - a higher power, if you will forgive any anecdotal reference, I intend none at this time. Applying is not a lengthy process by any means, and carries nothing more serious than the desire to do it, and the revelation that - from a PR stance - we are foolish not to attempt it. Doing so could prove CLC outstanding.

Those that can afford some sort of Internet Access can hear us or if you can stand to listen to us in Lancers' Cafe, that is fine for you, too; the Cafe is mainly devoid of acoustical treatment - CLC Radio has gone as far as technologically possible using electronic means to smooth out rough audible "edges" exposed if using no alteration in that space. (And no, using a noise monitoring device would not only fail - they just don't work as expected - but, using one would surely bring questions from the 1984 Camp, located just upstairs in any Speach & Communications Faculty Office). At least, when at a computer or in your car, you can control the volume and equalization to suit your personal comfort zone.

But, then when asked, my first answer has been, "I am not currently assigned classes. I am Part-time Faculty Advisor to CLC Radio, I am also their manager.". CLC Radio is not only an "it" to me, CLC Radio are people, too.

That last sentence sounded like a Super Computer wrote it.

Look, there is much more I can say here - especially about sound design, as I am expert in it - but, let me save that Draft for another blog time and space.

No comments: